Tuesday 12 June 2012

Toddling Art Critic

Dear Reader

I went to the Barbra Hepworth museum/gallery today with my dad. I'm quite glad that my parents took me round modern art museums when I was little (most of them are FREE), it does remove some of the snobbery and preciousness of galleries when you've been round one as a toddler. for example Barbra Hepworth's sculptures are mostly a fairly boring series of shapes and use far too much turquoise bronze. You do find yourself thinking "oh good another oval shaped bit of bronze with a hole in it".

The best thing about being used to galleries is you realise sometimes artists are actually trying to be funny and sometimes they aren't really trying to make a point but are just trying to make a good mix of colours (like wall paper).
Often really it comes down to how you feel when you look at a piece of art even if it annoyance when you realise anyone could have made it (and with the case of Damian Hurst someone else has made it).

No comments:

Post a Comment