Tuesday 9 October 2012

Weird things that happen on the YouTube.

Dear Reader

I have been watching allot of YouTube series recently and there are a couple of things that I've descorvered which kind of show that the worlds allot weirder than we once thought it was.


the first one is DJ Paige Railstone. Now you may be wondering why this is worthy of mention since its just some artist trying to advertise her work pretty normal but it quickly gets weirder when you find out that the existence of DJ Paige Railstone, from her music career to her personal history to her appearance and personality, is entirely made up. She is a myth made up by "The Vlogbrothers" after they wondered if they could convince the internet that she existed, so they gave her a Facebook account and a fan page and a twitter account and all the usual stuff that musicians have to sell their music and essentially asked everyone who subscribed (commonly known as Nerdfighters) to Google it as often as possible, to the extent that at one point if you typed in "Paige" you would get her on auto fill (now you have to do "Paige r" but its still impressive).

It doesn't stop there after that their subscribers started posting on YouTube. Some just talking about her some posting their music in her name some claiming they've been to one of her gigs and some, where, like this video (which gets 10/10 for both creepiness and impressiveness), they actually claim to be her.




To Quote John Green "Allot of people have been asking me if she's made up, and they've asked whether she's real. We did make her up, but that doesn't mean she's not real."

Either way it does show the power of mass internet subscription. From the Nerdfighter's charitable apeal to making Google auto fill give the word "awesome" whenever you type in the question "is Hank Green..." (the other vlogbrother) to even calling a human being into existence, the masses have the power. (DFTBA!)

the next weird thing is this that two very separate Vloggers (Bryarly Bishop and Charlie of Charlieissocoollike)are now dating and apropriately after a year they both announced it to their subscribers.


Which is lovely because they seem to be such lovely people, they have so much in common and they're both really lucky to have found someone where you kind of just feel that they are the male and female versions of each other (I tried to make that not sound weird but that's how it is). But anyway the weird thing about it is how it feels for the subscribers. Because for me at least, before Charlie posted about her I didn't know about her Vlogg existed at all so it very much feels like the two great crowds of subscribers are now meeting for the first time. And it kind of feels like they're two super defensive parents meeting the new partner and their family at the same time. We're all very happy that Charlie has found love but we're kind of scrutinising her and thinking "if you hurt him! You will pay!" Which, if you think about it is REALLY weird, because I've never met either of them!

The last one is just Genius! There have been a series of someone funny reads "fifty shades of grey" videos but this is the best! The thing is when I heard about it I laughed because I could imagine what a horrible sound it would be but when I got to it, I discovered it was exactly how I imagined it and weirder. Frankly I'm putting it here because I just want everyone in the world to know of its existence (much better than fricking Gangnam Style anyway). I would pay so much money for him to read the entire book.



By the way Reader the reason why I was away for so long was frankly because there are far too many page views on that post I did on ginger people and I worry you only look because its got that picture of Amy Pond which kind of depresses me.

PLEASE SUBSCRIBE!

No comments:

Post a Comment